Zoological Type Notes --V
- Picus sanguineus Lichtenstein,AAH 1793
Cat.Rer.nat.rar. p.17 no.184
- Type by subsequent designation. (G.R. Gray, 1855, Cat.Gen.Subgen.Birds p.92)
Picus sanguineus Lichtenstein.
- Type locality: "America = Guiana" Peters 6:175.
- However, the type given by Peters 6:169 is
- Stephen Gregory indicates (in litt. 2006.04.24) that the type designated
by Gray was Picus sanguineus (an originally included species) and that
Picus fumigatus Orbigny was not an originally included species.
- Saucerottia saucerrottei (Delattre & Bourcier) 1846 Rev.Zool. 9 p.311
- Type by original designation. Saucerottia typica Bonaparte = Trochilus saucerrottei Delattre and Bourcier.
- Type locality: Cali, Colombia
- type currently unknown (2001.08.09)
- Somateria spectabilis (Linnaeus) 1758 Syst.Nat.ed.10 p.123
- Type by monotypy. Anas spectabilis JE Gray.
- Type locality: "in Canada, Svecia = Sweden" AOU CL 7ed. p.77.
Comments&Suggestions to Data Steward
- Sphyrapicus varius (Linnaeus) 1766 Syst.Nat.ed.12 p.176
- Type by original designation. Picus varius Linnaeus.
- Type locality: "in America septontrionali = South Carolina". AOU CL 7 ed. p.337.
Alan P. Peterson, M.D.
Walla Walla, WA 99362-0999
Last updated 2004.02.07